A piece of petrified wood highly polished and carefully sculpted to create this incredibly unique piece.
The piece is between 235-250 million years old and originates from the triassic period.
This would be suitable for a solid console table or fireside.
Standing in an Indonesian Teak base.
Please note this piece is heavy.
Dimensions: 37 w x 50 h x 15 d cm
About Petrified Wood
- Petrified wood is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals while retaining the original structure of the wood.
- When the wood becomes buried under sediment in the ground it is initially preserved due to lack of oxygen but with water flowing through the sediment, minerals are deposited and as it decays away, a stone mould forms in its place. This process is called permineralisation.
- Manganese, iron and copper in the water/mud during this process gives the wood its varying colours
- Pure quartz is colourless but when contaminants are added, the crystals take on yellow, red or other tint
- Petrified wood has a Mohs hardness of 7, the same as quartz